Saturday, March 8, 2014

9/31- SOL- Climbing Trees




My foot wedged itself between two branches, and I heaved up onto the next branch. My arm scraped along the next branch, but I still managed my way up to it. I gripped a notch in the wood and pulled myself up to another branch. Raw bark clawed at my ankles and gripped my shins. My arms clawed the bark back and soon I was up to the top of the tree. I could see my neighbors roofs from up here. The sun beamed onto my face and heated my climbing limbs with light. The blue sky ignited my feeling of gratitude. I felt free. I felt as if I could live up here. My hair waved in the wind, and my blue shirt rippled It was well worth the scratching to get up here. If only getting down was as easy.

2 comments:

  1. I have always been afraid of climbing trees. At first it was because the tangle of branches seemed scary, but when I got older, my cousin got stuck at the top of a tree and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having climbed many a tree, I love this description. I kept thinking, "That's my favorite line...no that one is." I do really like this one though, "Raw bark clawed at my ankles and gripped my shins. My arms clawed the bark back and soon I was up to the top of the tree." Is there anything more awesome then getting to the top of a tree?

    ReplyDelete